Wednesday 25 February 2015

WiP Wed

Ever since I made this Feb block for the Oceans BoM, I've just wanted it to rather be something else. It's just the artist brain..... it wants what it wants.....

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to turn a few of the Ocean blocks into wall art and hang them up in a row in the passage or somewhere...

This is what I had in mind:



This is an artists stretched canvas on a frame - 12" - thought is was about right because the block was 14" and it needs to cover all sides and be fastened at the back.


Alas! The sewn block was too small. I could have got a thinner framed block but I wanted that box look, so I just had to add a border around the block (1.5").

The sewn block was then put down onto the desk - facing the desk - and the artist block was put onto it and moved around to try and get all of the seal into the front view. Only a small bit of his 'arm' 'fin' things didn't fit and would have to curl around the edge.

 This is the front view.

I stretched the sewn block and stapled it to the frame. Then the opposite side. Then side and side were stapled down. The corners were folded the same way I fold a mitered corner on my quilts and then also stapled down.

Then all that needs doing was to hang it up.
Shame, he looks lonely - now I need to make him a few friends.





Have a great day!



8 comments:

Lisa England said...

So cute!

Yvonne said...

What a nice way to finish a block! I really love it.

Vera said...

Cool! For a second I thought you created cushion though :)

Sew Surprising said...

I had thought about this the other day as I have the turtle and sealion on the wall and as I walked past I thought how cool they would look as a piece of art. Thank you as you have now answered my question ;) He looks stunning :)

beaquilter said...

that looks awesome!! squeal. I want that too now

Belinda said...

What a great idea!

Rumi said...

It looks great. I like displaying quilt such way.
Have you put batting and back fabric - as usual 3 layers quilt?
I have made some quilts with batting and because there is too bulky at corners I made different way.
http://3patchcrafts.blogspot.com/2014_01_01_archive.html

legato1958 said...

This is a fantastic way to display your fabric art! Love it!
Susie